Recently I was wandering through an Asian market and came across Dried Basil Seeds. In my haste, I thought it just said basil seeds. Hmmm, maybe they were for sprouting, or at the very least I could plant them?
So I bought them, and when I got home saw the “dried” on the label. Like any self-respecting Green Diva, I googled it and learned that they act much like my beloved chia seeds. Like most seeds, they’re chock full of nutrients and are considered by some to be a super food. One difference (that I liked) is that the basil seeds plump up in minutes, whereas the chia seeds may take hours. And I really like the tapioca texture of these seeds. Just because they aren’t as “trendy” yet, doesn’t mean they aren’t fabulous.
Here are a few things that I learned:
- These seeds are also called sabja seeds, Arabic falooda seeds, Thai holy basil (which is apparently different from holy basil), Tulsi, selashi and turmaria. And are best known around the world for being the main ingredient in many sweet Asian drinks.
- They are often used in Ayurvedic and Siddha medicine in India and also Chinese medicine.
- They plump up just like chia seeds and can be used interchangeably in most recipes. I even throw them in my morning smoothies. Like chia seeds they don’t have much flavor which also makes the versatile.
- Cooling – they are cooling, which is why they are added to many cool drinks like falooda, rood afza, nimbu pani and sherbets.
- Colds etc. – they are good for sore throats, cold and respiratory disorders.
- Digestion – they can aid in digestion and relieve constipation.
- Stress relief – they can have a calming effect and can uplift your mood.
- Skin relief – they are good for skin infections.
- Weight loss – they can curb your appetite if you consume them in a gelatinous drink before a meal.
Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/basil-seeds-not-just-for-growing-recipes.html#ixzz3qU0vo7T5
- Health Benefits of Orange Juice - 26/10/2015 06:14
- Photo Gallery RITA visit ANUGA 2015 - 14/10/2015 06:33
- 10 Proven Health Benefits of Coconut Oil (No. 3 is Best) - 06/10/2015 02:46
- Healthy Drinks for the Liver - 26/09/2015 04:10
- Rita Tet Trung Thu 2015 – Vietnam’s Mid-Autumn Festival - 22/09/2015 09:55